FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Benchmade Mod. 51

Moderator: T-man

<<

DanielGClapp

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 am

Benchmade Mod. 51

I have a mod 51 morpho I got for my 17th birthday (the 3rd of August). It's my first balisong and I'm learning tricks on it no problem. I love it !!! It looks really nice and almost absorbs shock due to the g 10 handles (not sure where this is applicable...) and the blue anodized titanium (I believe) in the handles and the clips look really nice. Anyway I've been reading and it looks like people are having problems with rust ??? I live in Phoenix, AZ. and humidity is not a problem here. I clean off my blade thoroughly every time I am done using it with a micro-fiber cloth (overkill ???) So tell me what you think. Mod 51's FTW !!! Here are some pictures of my balisong and my first week of usage !!! Post Yours !!! :D

[Update: I got much better pictures up here for you guys. My camera takes really huge pictures, so I have to resize them before they can fit on the thread, so I hope you guys enjoy them !!! One thing I will say about the 51 is that after about 4 days of constant flipping, it has become fairly loose. Not a big problem though, as this is an easy fix.]

[One more update: The blade becomes loose constantly and apparently this is a very common problem and can only be fixed with blue loctite. Also, I have been practicing the helix quite a bit and one of the smaller screws just completely came out. The reason for this is because at the start of the move, in a horizontal y2k position, my thumb likes to rest on that smaller screw. Every time I throw the knife to start the trick, my thumb is rotating the screw. These are just some things for you guys to consider.]

Last edited by DanielGClapp on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

cavemandan54321

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:13 am

Re: Benchmade Mod. 51

I wouldn't worry. It's probably drier where you live than where I live; the bay area, and my 51 is fine. Just keep the blade clean. D2 is supposed to be fairly rust resistant anyway, and the polish really helps protect it as opposed to say a kimura blade.
<<

DanielGClapp

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:15 pm

alright, thanks !!!
<<

c.wigum

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:36 pm

cavemandan54321 wrote:I wouldn't worry. It's probably drier where you live than where I live; the bay area, and my 51 is fine. Just keep the blade clean. D2 is supposed to be fairly rust resistant anyway, and the polish really helps protect it as opposed to say a kimura blade.

Ummm! no it's not, quite the opposite actually. D2 keeps it's edge for longer because its a harder metal but the downside is that it is prone to rust.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

DanielGClapp

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:41 pm

c.wigum wrote:Ummm! no it's not, quite the opposite actually. D2 keeps it's edge for longer because its a harder metal but the downside is that it is prone to rust.

Well like I said I live in Phoenix, AZ. Humidity is not a big problem. What are the proper precautions I should take in order to maintain the blade ??? :?:
<<

c.wigum

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:46 pm

Just oil the blade every so often and keep an eye on it.

I've never had any problems with mine although have heard that others have. Don't leave any blood on the blade. Also oil from your fingers can also cause rust spots.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

DanielGClapp

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:00 pm

ya alright, thank you !!! I definitely make sure the blade is clean from blood :shock: and from oil every time I put it away.
<<

Eternal

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:33 pm

cavemandan54321 wrote:I wouldn't worry. It's probably drier where you live than where I live; the bay area, and my 51 is fine. Just keep the blade clean. D2 is supposed to be fairly rust resistant anyway, and the polish really helps protect it as opposed to say a kimura blade.

I'm out of the Bay area as well however I just started to notice a couple of little rust spots developing. One of those issues I've read about but never thought it would actually happen. I know citric acid and soda ash remove rust but I'm not to sure if the solution would damage the blade.
<<

DanielGClapp

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:00 pm

I've heard of people storing their knives with those little packets that you find in jerky etc. It's supposed to keep out moisture. Never tried it though. Most of my knives never get rust, but thy're all 440c. The only ones that get rusted are the ones that I carry around and are exposed to sweat etc.
<<

Palethius

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:22 am

c.wigum wrote:oil from your fingers can also cause rust spots.

Yes, this too.
#16 huh? /rollin' somethin' for the future....

Return to Maintenance