FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Modifying bm 51 with pb washers question with size.

Moderator: T-man

<<

Chiefnbeef

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Modifying bm 51 with pb washers question with size.

Now I'm a noob in pretty much every aspect when it comes to balis, but I learn quickly and can free ball a great deal on my own. So after flipping for a few months or so and getting used to my 51 I began to notice the tolerances on the 51s handles could be better. I loctited everything so it's not that. After doing some inquiring I heard people put in brass phosphorous washers to correct this issue a bit. So my question here is what size. I'm pretty sure it's the 3/16 pb washers I need (of course correct me if I'm wrong) but on the site I found they come in varrying thicknesses (.005, .010, .015).
So i hope to get this little issue cleared up if anyone knows which is best (or most correct) to go with. Also if there r better suggestions for modding a 51 to get tighter tolerances Id love to hear em.
Thanx in advance.
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:29 am

Re: Modifying bm 51 with pb washers question with size.

Id suggest just getting a few sets of each, and then placing multiple sets of different thickness's in to find out how you like it. That's what I had to do with my 42 since knifekits didn't have a size to fit what I was looking for.
<<

Chiefnbeef

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Quintocer0s wrote:Id suggest just getting a few sets of each, and then placing multiple sets of different thickness's in to find out how you like it. That's what I had to do with my 42 since knifekits didn't have a size to fit what I was looking for.

Alright thanx. I was thinking about doing that anyway cause they're cheap and why not. Just didn't like the idea of constant disassembling and reassembling my Bali until I was satisfied.
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Be happy you don't have to beat the pins out (well i found a vise) every time you put it back together. Do a single handle, you should be able to feel the tolerance as well as making sure its not so tight as to keep the handle from moving freely.

Another good reason to stock up on washers is because your going to pay more than double the price just for shipping alone, even though its only like 6 bucks. Still, 25 cents worth of product and 6 bucks for shipping, might as well match the price of the product to that of the shipping.
<<

Chiefnbeef

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:15 am

Quintocer0s wrote:Be happy you don't have to beat the pins out (well i found a vise) every time you put it back together. Do a single handle, you should be able to feel the tolerance as well as making sure its not so tight as to keep the handle from moving freely.

Another good reason to stock up on washers is because your going to pay more than double the price just for shipping alone, even though its only like 6 bucks. Still, 25 cents worth of product and 6 bucks for shipping, might as well match the price of the product to that of the shipping.

Yea I hear ya, thanx again dude

Return to Maintenance