FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Anodize a Kimura?

Moderator: T-man

<<

nitegaunt

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:00 am

Anodize a Kimura?

Has anyone done it? i think the "spectrum" looks like crap but I have seen some nice anodizing jobs done on 42's and the like. So, if I did one of my Kimuras as a home project would I need to polish it first or can it be done with the bead blast finish? Also, if I had someone else do it, how much is a decent price?
Flip it like it's hot!
<<

JJhamilton

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:25 am

Re: Anodize a Kimura?

No expert but I would most definitely believe you need to polish it first....hope you go through with this would love to see the outcome......if you pay someone I would imagine the polishing would be more expensive than the anodizing ....could do yourself and save th labor rate.....what color you thinking. I bought the polished k5 awhile back and have thought of having it powder coated or anodized, nothing to sure which would last longest....just don't know enough about the longevity of the two .....please post some pics if you go through it.
<<

Bladejunkie

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:31 am

You could have it uparmored, but only titanium and aluminum can be ano'd
3rd place OKCA 2012
<<

nitegaunt

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:05 am

Thanks for the input. I thought I might need to polish it beforehand. I will definitely post pics if I go through with it. I think blue would look nice.

So, aren't the spectrum versions of the Kimura anodized? I hadn't heard you could only do ti or aluminum. Why would that be?
Flip it like it's hot!
<<

Bladejunkie

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:28 am

nitegaunt wrote:Thanks for the input. I thought I might need to polish it beforehand. I will definitely post pics if I go through with it. I think blue would look nice.

So, aren't the spectrum versions of the Kimura anodized? I hadn't heard you could only do ti or aluminum. Why would that be?

That's just the way it works? You cant anodize steel.
3rd place OKCA 2012
<<

nitegaunt

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:07 pm

So what is the process used on the spectrum Kimuras?
Flip it like it's hot!
<<

T-man

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:12 pm

TiN
:mrt:
" It comes with the territory." - Jessica
" :vid: <--- Cause that's how shit works here for everyone :stickwhack: " - Silent Jay
<<

DMSHA

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:54 pm

I can confirm anodizing is for Titanium, Niobium and Aluminum only, I do chainmaille. You can heat treat the Stainless with a torch to get a spectrum-ish look to it, I'm not sure if you control the colors very effectively with a blow torch though. I know it is based on how hot the metal gets, my physics/woodworking teacher once told me that there are chemicals that can be put on the metal to make it a certain color when heat treating though. Just a thought.

Return to Maintenance