FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Sharpener

Moderator: T-man

<<

newflipper

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:52 am

Sharpener

I have a couple of knives. One has 440 stainless steel the other is D2. Thinking about getting a Kimura which as you know is another kind of steel. My question: Do I need different sharpeners for different steels?
<<

jjk978

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Sharpener

Nope I have found that it makes little to no difference with my knives
<<

Cpfrombv

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:53 pm

newflipper wrote:I have a couple of knives. One has 440 stainless steel the other is D2. Thinking about getting a Kimura which as you know is another kind of steel. My question: Do I need different sharpeners for different steels?

Well, that is a good question. I myself have had great results with the DMT line. I have the red, blue & green, but I still like to use a porcelain stick for the final finish to get it really sharp. With stainless steel that is softer than say carbon, you wouldn't wont to use a "Crystolon" or man made stone because it takes too much metal off. With a carbon steel, Soft Arkansas is pretty good, but I never had good results with Stainless Steel on them.
So really it depends on what sharpening stones you have, but you should be okay with using the same ones.
Mom told me not to run with scissors, but she never said I couldn't play with knives.
<<

Cpfrombv

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:48 am

maricar wrote:Speaking of knife sharpening, I was once had an experience wherein I used a grinding stone to sharpen the knife and it so happen that I did not satisfied with the result so what I did is to get an old unused porcelain plate and was able to use the back of the plate and serve as grinding stone the result was really great. I swear.

That's not unheard of in the south. Many men's wives have been pissed at them for "abusing" the fine china in such a way. :D
When Raytheon was still operating a plant where I live, many workers were taking pieces of the porcelain nose cone to sharpen knives. Put one hell of an edge on a blade.
Mom told me not to run with scissors, but she never said I couldn't play with knives.

Return to Maintenance