FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

building the bali.

Moderator: T-man

<<

DOA

Head in a French Puddle.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:34 pm

building the bali.

well, i have my plans finalized and everything, and i'm almost ready to build. i found the carbon steel i wanted of the blade (1/8"x1"x1 1/2" O1 tool steel) and the steel for the handles (3/16" low carbon). i will be using terry guinn's tutorial(http://www.edcknives.com/GuinnBaliTutorial.php), although, instead of using un-adjustable pins like him i want to use torx screws. i'm not sure of the length i should use, though. and he recommends using bushings, but i don't want to take the time to precision fit them in and i have found ones that are already pre-milled and everything on knifekits. i'm not sure of the length i should use on these either. some help, guys?
"Congratulations, you've just won a spoon-fed hooker killing spree!! forked hookers are ineligible."
-Jason
<<

spyderguy

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:34 am

Re: building the bali.

you'll have to know the measurements you plan on having for your knife. The thickness of your handles will have a lot to do with what length your torx screws will need to be, but expect to do some slight modifications when finally fitting everything together. You may have to shorten the screws you bought a touch, maybe not
As for your bushings, that's a smart idea IMO. If done right they can take all the wobble out of the handles and really makes for a smooth flipper. Your bushing needs to be just barely longer than your blade is thick, by just barely I'm talking 1000ths of an inch, just enough so that when everything is tightened down the washers contact the bushing and not the blade. This will definitely need to be customized for your knife to get the best fit. Buy the size closest to what you need and slowly sand off the excess til it's just right
- Canadians: you may not like us, but we're too drunk to care

- "Fair is a word that some simpering loser made up. Things are never fair. Fair is for faggots and people on welfare"

-the flipping arena: Deflating egos is what we do.
<<

McAhron

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Which pivots do you plan to use? Good idea not to use bushings unless you have the proper tools to insure its 100% square and one 1000ths thicker than the blade and washers,or just the blade if your not using washers.If a bushing isnt square your guaranteed the blade will hit the handles.Even with my top of the line milling machine and using digital readouts, I scrap 3 bushings for everyone thats just right.Just one drag on sandpaper makes a huge difference.I recommend using 3/16ths hardened pivots and trim them to length.Your not going to find them in an exact length for your knife and trimming them is not a precision job.Take your BM 42 apart and study how its assembled and you'll know exactly what you need to do.Feel free to ask questions as you proceed and good luck :TU:
<<

DOA

Head in a French Puddle.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:19 pm

thanks dude.

i'll have the final measurements and design up either early tonight or tomorrow.
"Congratulations, you've just won a spoon-fed hooker killing spree!! forked hookers are ineligible."
-Jason
<<

DOA

Head in a French Puddle.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:38 pm

here's the specs. let me know if any of these are wrong, especially the bushings.

L= length, T= thickness, W= width

handle liner (303 stainless) 4.8"L x .125"T x .550"W
scales (blue black G10) 4.8"L x .135"T x .550"W
bade (Raw D2, before grinding down) 4.25"L x .125"T x 1.0"W
bushing (oil-impregnated bronze) .1252"L x .1875"T x .25"W
spacer (303 stainless) ?L x .1272"T x ?W
washers (PB) .020"T

the blade will be ground in similar shape to a typhoon with a recurve and a choil with a decent flat grind. the whole knife will be brought up to mirrior finish, with a bit of filework on the handles. the spine of the blade will be crowned. and just for fun, when i'm confident that i did a good job with it, i'll send it up for a passaround. i'll post pictures up as soon as i can get everything drawn up.

:TU:

any comments and suggestions are welcome.
-Jason
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:20 am

Where B = Blade Thickness;
W = Washer Thickness;
S = Spacer Thickness:

B + 2W = S

.125 + (2 * .020) = .165
<<

joshuawy

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:36 am

how yah going to do the heat treating?
blow-torch and used motor oil?
You can't stop the signal...
<<

Kefir96

Location: Restaurant at John the Moron, Czech Republic, Europe

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:35 am

It's possible to post it in some blacksmith, they will do the process.
<<

DOA

Head in a French Puddle.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:13 am

so, i now have ordered (accidentally) half of my materials. i decided agianst bushings (too hard to precision fit) and went with bearings instead. the handles will be made with 1/16" 304 SS with 1/8" blue/black G10 overlays. i found ATS-34 steel for a very fair price, so i will be sending that out for heat treating after my blade is ground. that will be ordered soon, when funds allow. i'll post up the pictures as soon as i begin work.

Thanks for staying interested and giving me support building my first knife.
-Rob
-Jason
<<

DOA

Head in a French Puddle.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:39 pm

blade mockup:

i've also decided to color the 304 stainless rainbow with my blowtorch.
work will start once i figure out where to get press fit pivots for less than $4.75 apiece.
-Jason
<<

DOA

Head in a French Puddle.

Post Sun May 02, 2010 6:34 pm

HANDLE MATERIAL IS IN!

work starts tomorrow.
-Jason

Return to Modding/Making