FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Modding thread..

Moderator: T-man

<<

JohnnyBmore

Post Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:40 am

Modding thread..

Was hopping I could get a little help & or info from some people who already make Custom Balis or who mod them ...Id like to Learn more about washers pivots,Bushings as well as what different types & sizes work with what . so If anyone can PM me to talk or post some modding tutorials that be great !

Maybe we can stat a Modding thread for people to reference.. maybe this one ... :woot:
" Emergencies seldom favor the unprepared "
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:29 am

Re: Modding thread..

What do you want to know? (be specific)
<<

uwanaugoda

Leaves dried blood on Kimuras.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:01 am

Im getting better at modding, and im learning as well. The only mods i have been able to do is a no clip mod on my 32. My Typhoon build with some mods, and a twist spring latch. Im aspiring to get a Drill press and belt sander in the near time future. I might also be doing 51 re-assembly WIP.
FaultyPly- "My cocks breaks the glass in your optical lenses while I skull fuck you"
Crockus- "guess Im just used to "small things"
<<

JohnnyBmore

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:15 am

I guess I can be more specific .. but more looking for general info that will help more people then just me get started ..
Id like to know what all works as the main pivot pins .. what sizes to order, what works with the 51 & the 41ss .. cause that is what ill be messing with first .. Figure once I do those I wont need much help .. I could probably order a ton of stuff & see what works but figured somebody could give me a heads up on some link to Tutorials or write ups on what people use ...

I would like to be able to tighten up the handles on both balis super tight but still have a smooth flowing movement .. So I'm trying to play with busing ,washers , maybe bearings ..
" Emergencies seldom favor the unprepared "
<<

uwanaugoda

Post Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:48 pm

Im confused what this is for? Someone that wants to start modding, or wants to order new parts like washers and such? As far as modding goes ok post your question, as far as parts same thing. Theres always a question before an answer.
FaultyPly- "My cocks breaks the glass in your optical lenses while I skull fuck you"
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:12 pm

Alright, here's a general mod that I do on pretty much any knife, bali or not:

Chamfering all the edges, except the one that cuts.

This is actually an easy mod that will make a significant improvement on pretty much any production knife out there. If you use any knife for a significant period of time, you'll notice that any sharp edges on the handle (and sometimes even the spine) will raise blisters. And even on flippers, which you may not use a lot but flip often, you'll notice that the sharp edges on the handles, tang, and spine will give a scraping sensation - if you do a lot of rollovers, you may even get odd rashes around your fingers.

The solution in simple - grind that crap off. You can use a number of tools to do this, including files, belt sanders, and sanding blocks. Lately, I've been preferring a rotary tool with those little flat paper sanding discs, as they easily get into those hard to reach places and they leave an excellent finish.

I make three passes on every edge to be ground down, and that's usually enough to simulate a rounded edge well enough. The first pass at 45 degrees, another at a shallow angle, and another at a deep angle. I then repeat that process after changing out the sanding disc for one of those little buffing wheels loaded with Flexcut Gold.

The results are buttery smooth. Your fingers will thank you.
<<

bigmcluvn

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:58 am

I'm really glad we have a thread for this , I would love to learn some modding techniques as well as tutorials on customizing and even buildings knives
"Never Knows Best"
<<

penguinpanda0

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:10 pm

can anyone clue me in as to what bushings are?
<<

GetTheFood11

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:15 pm

penguinpanda0 wrote:can anyone clue me in as to what bushings are?

Yeah I have the same question. Someone told me that they eliminate 99% of blade play and 75% of friction, but I still don't know what they are.
<<

uwanaugoda

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:59 pm

GetTheFood11 wrote:

Yeah I have the same question. Someone told me that they eliminate 99% of blade play and 75% of friction, but I still don't know what they are.[/quote

Google is your friend. They are brass rings that fit into the holes on your blade. The brass or PB or whatever its made out of reduces the friction as compared to the normal blade steel. Now here is a general modding tip. Take your balisong apart and put a high polish in the holes with a dremel or 22 cleaning rod (something to that effect). Place it back together and put a liberal amount of oil on. Tighten the screws all the way in untill the handels stop moving, but dont forget locktite. Than very carefully back them out untill the handles move freely. Thats the smoothest thing you can do without mods. Another tip is get yourself a fine grit sandpaper and start doing helicopters untill the handle edges are smoothly rounded. :TU:
<<

rangerover_95

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:57 pm

uwanaugoda wrote:
GetTheFood11 wrote:

Yeah I have the same question. Someone told me that they eliminate 99% of blade play and 75% of friction, but I still don't know what they are.[/quote

Google is your friend. They are brass rings that fit into the holes on your blade. The brass or PB or whatever its made out of reduces the friction as compared to the normal blade steel. Now here is a general modding tip. Take your balisong apart and put a high polish in the holes with a dremel or 22 cleaning rod (something to that effect). Place it back together and put a liberal amount of oil on. Tighten the screws all the way in untill the handels stop moving, but dont forget locktite. Than very carefully back them out untill the handles move freely. Thats the smoothest thing you can do without mods. Another tip is get yourself a fine grit sandpaper and start doing helicopters untill the handle edges are smoothly rounded. :TU:

Bushings are actually useful because they are cut a fraction (.02" or less on each side) thicker than the blade they are built for. They make it able for you to fit washers on the blade, and be able to tighten down the handles, directly onto the bushings/washers vs. the blade itself. This allows the blade to freely swing, while the bushings and washers are keeping the handles tight.

Return to Modding/Making