FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Latch idea?

Moderator: T-man

<<

DeadPuppy

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Latch idea?

I saw a couple of balis with magnetic latches and I thought they were sweet other than the fact that they were hard to flip. But then I thought about another latch.
Could a latch be made similar to the bm42 spring latch, but instead of a spring there would be two magnets? It would look sweet and would never wear out. I'd like to see it tried on some balis.
"The best thing about killing a mime..is that they don't make any noise. It's the ultimate silent kill." -Vincent Dark
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: Latch idea?

Magnet strength required to keep the Bali open would be far to great for an average magnet, but just to keep it in the closed position it wouldnt' need so much strength.
<<

fever

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:25 pm

I think this is a very interesting idea and I will have to think about how it would work with flipping. You must also keep in mind that upon contact, the magnets loose their integrity. With every flip, the magnets get weaker. Just thought you might want to know.

fever.
<<

DeadPuppy

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Well, the magnets would never actually touch, they'd just be close together. And they would both be located on the same handle so they wouldn't interfere with flipping; The exact same setup as a regular spring latch, without the spring.
"The best thing about killing a mime..is that they don't make any noise. It's the ultimate silent kill." -Vincent Dark
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:23 pm

So one handle would have a magnet, and the head of the latch would have a magnet? Not just the end of both handles.
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:09 am

A magnet on the butt of the latch, another in the spacer above it. The magnets, attracted to each other, would be constantly trying to pull the latch straight.

That might work. Maybe pretty well. I do have a bunch of tiny nib magnets that'll probably do that, but there's the matter of attaching one to the latch. You'd pretty much have to make a little pocket for it in the latch, otherwise the shock of flipping would knock it off too easily.
<<

fever

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:49 am

DeadPuppy wrote:Well, the magnets would never actually touch, they'd just be close together. And they would both be located on the same handle so they wouldn't interfere with flipping; The exact same setup as a regular spring latch, without the spring.

I know that they wouldn't touch and I think it would be a cool thing to try, but every time you opened and closed it, or dropped it, unless you are over a bed or something, the magnets would get weaker. They probably would still work, but like the spring, i think they would wear out.
<<

Helix

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:24 pm

hmm...that's actually a pretty cool idea. Maybe they could use Neodymium magnets, because they are more powerful at at smaller size and also pretty resistant to demagnetization from the force of shock. I don't know too much about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvmvxAcT_Yc&feature=related, but it'd be interesting to see some real R&D go into producing and testing this type of latch.
Shaclack clack! Image
<<

penguinpanda0

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:12 pm

funny, fishdude and I thought about this a lot. I know Terry Guinn Uses magnets.

Return to Modding/Making