FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

BM 51 Mod....

Moderator: T-man

<<

sheneniganer

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:31 pm

BM 51 Mod....

I recently bought a Benchmade 51, and after flipping it for a while the play on bite handle is significantly more than I would like and the safe handle isnt much better. This is fixed after i tighten the screws, but doesnt last forever, and tightening it doesnt reduce the play all that much, unless i really crank on it but then the handles wont move. So i guess my question is, what is the best solution for me? Should i just go buy some loctite(red i think) and put it on the screws? Will that fix it? Or should i do something else? Since I'm not familiar with modding balisongs I just want to hear the safe and right course to take before messing around with my new, expensive, knife, so i dont get in over my head :lol:
6 Out of 18. What are you?
/ Rolling with the cutting edge of a new order.
<<

ccssww

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:12 pm

Re: BM 51 Mod....

loctite is correct. make sure its BLUE 242. it looks like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Threadloc ... B0015PI75E

good luck with the flipping :mrgreen:
<<

sheneniganer

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:33 pm

no, i know that...im just wondering if i should try putting in new washers or something so the play will decrease because it doesnt get too loose, they play in the handles just increases
6 Out of 18. What are you?
/ Rolling with the cutting edge of a new order.
<<

fishydude

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:28 pm

i dont know if this will work but...... you might be able to put bushings in and then you can crank it down really tight and it will still be smooth, like i said just a thought. :D
<<

tapuout2

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:36 pm

sheneniganer wrote:no, i know that...im just wondering if i should try putting in new washers or something so the play will decrease because it doesnt get too loose, they play in the handles just increases

If the play in the handles increases that means that the knife is getting loose.
I hope that your ego isn't as fragile as your jaw.
<<

nevil

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:48 pm

Tightening the screws should reduce most of the play. You have to put it in just the right position. (I cannot detect any play in my 51) Mess with this first before you loctite it so that you can learn to get it in the right spot and reproduce it when putting on the loctite. Try tightening the screw until the handle doesn't flip then back out very-very-very slowly until its just loose enough. Its not so easy and takes patience, steady hands, and a feel for it. I've had to do this for my friends' 51s; they had the same complaints until I showed them how.
Image Image

Return to Modding/Making