FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

phospho washers

Moderator: T-man

<<

grumpy

Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:49 pm

phospho washers

I've been reading how some of you put phospho-bronze washers in your BM's. What size and where do you get 'em? I have some here from my Typhoons but they are too thick. Some help would be appreciated. Jose
<<

spyderguy

Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: phospho washers

I've gotten them from knifekits.com. stock bm balis come with 0.10 washers, I went with .15 and it worked great. some people have used the .20 but I found they were too tight to fit in. At the price they are sold at (.50 cents a pair I think) your better off just getting a bunch in each of those sizes and see what works best in your knife. maybe one of each would do the trick. The pivot is 3/16 if I recall correctly.
Last edited by spyderguy on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Canadians: you may not like us, but we're too drunk to care

- "Fair is a word that some simpering loser made up. Things are never fair. Fair is for faggots and people on welfare"

-the flipping arena: Deflating egos is what we do.
<<

grumpy

Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:45 am

Thanks for the help
<<

grumpy

Post Thu May 07, 2009 1:08 pm

Hey guys just an update for those that are curious. I received the .10 and .15 sized phospho washers from knife kits with a 3/16" pivot(thanx Spyder) and put 'em in the test subject..a BM 47. The .10 were just like the stock washers...too much play. The .15 were too thick. I could get one in and maybe a .10 on the other side, but that just seems too weird to do, so I didn't. The bronze washers from KnifeKits by the way are really narrow from the inside diameter to the outside diameter. Not a lot of contact surface. In fact about half the contact surface of the stock BM washers. Anyways I did a little more looking and found the perfect ones from http://hawkinsknifemakingsupplies.com/9.shtml. The shipping was really slow. A full week for two orders of bronze washers .They come in .12 which in my case is the perfect size for the 2 47's and the 43 I put them in. Barely any play at all and not so tight where the handles can't move freely. They also have a ton of contact surface, a tiny bit more than stock even. They came out perfect. A bit of Militec-1 and some breaking in and a little time to see if I want to keep 'em like that and they'll be ready for some Loc-Tite blue(thanx Droop). So far I like it. I don't know if its one of those mods that are worth doing for most flippers, because most differeces might seem subtle, but IMHO if you spend a lot of time with your certain babies in your hands I think the mod will stand out more. The knife and handles feel tighter, but still move freely. All moves feel smoother 'cuz the handles stay in line. There is no side to side movement attributed to the slack the thinner washers provided. Aerials leave and land better in my hands,and have a different sound when flipping. There's no clanking. Which never bothered me b4, but now its nicer 'cuz its a lot quieter. I didn't mean for this post to be this long, so I'm sorry, but I guess I had a lot to say to my flippin' brokenbrainers. The GrumpyCuban. Jose
<<

droopdog666

Keeps Eyeballing Yer Sister...

Post Thu May 07, 2009 1:43 pm

awesome news. glad you found what worked best for your knives. every knife is going to tend to like a slightly different washer. my 47 loved the 15 thou's, and my 40TR i think would love something in the 17-18 thou range. 20's were too much, and 15's still feel a touch sloppy in the 40TR, but its a beater toy, so i dont care enough to sand down washers to put in it. :lol: glad you found what works well with your knives.
Third Place - FATOC '09
Third place - FATOC '10

"vids or GTFO" since 2008.
<<

spyderguy

Post Fri May 08, 2009 5:41 pm

good to hear it worked out for ya. Thanks for the link to the other washers, it's kind of a pain to get knifekits to ship to canada at a reasonable rate for something as tiny as washers.
- Canadians: you may not like us, but we're too drunk to care

- "Fair is a word that some simpering loser made up. Things are never fair. Fair is for faggots and people on welfare"

-the flipping arena: Deflating egos is what we do.
<<

droopdog666

Keeps Eyeballing Yer Sister...

Post Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 pm

spyderguy wrote:it's kind of a pain to get knifekits to ship to canada at a reasonable rate for something as tiny as washers.

quoted for truth
Third Place - FATOC '09
Third place - FATOC '10

"vids or GTFO" since 2008.

Return to Modding/Making