FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Magnetic Latch

Moderator: T-man

<<

Millsy

Post Sat May 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Magnetic Latch

I was thinking of modifying my knife, a Kimura 5, by replacing the factory T latch with two magnets, one in each handle. The way it would be set up would be so that either closed or open, the magnets would be attached so that they would always attract each other, open or closed.

I, personally, don't foresee any issues, but I was hoping to get some feedback to improve my idea or point out any possible problems.
<<

T-man

Post Sat May 19, 2012 6:24 pm

Re: Magnetic Latch

I foresee this causing an issue where the bali will close up while flipping and potentialy screwing up your routine. Not like you couldn't undo the mod if you didn't like it though. I say go for it.

On a side note, I'm sure we'd like to know who ya'r. So, if you will.. please head over to the introductions thread and hit us up :TU:
:mrt:
" It comes with the territory." - Jessica
" :vid: <--- Cause that's how shit works here for everyone :stickwhack: " - Silent Jay
<<

Switchfeathers

Post Sat May 19, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm with T-Man here, if you plan on flipping that knife, I can see the magnets messing with it a lot. Like if a T-Latch accidentaly closed on you mid-flip or something.

Give it a go, though, interesting concept and if nobody tried new ideas the world would be a very boring place indeed.
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Sun May 20, 2012 12:01 am

<<

The Jack of Clubs

Post Sun May 20, 2012 9:25 am

I tried a similar concept, only the magnets were arranged to attract the latch itself and had essentially the effect of a spring latch. It didn't work. Would've been awesome if it did though. As far as your idea is concerned, you could also try one magnet in one handle, and a chunk of steel in the location just opposite on the other handle. Might save some money, plus since the knife itself is steel, I can see too many magnets causing sticking issues where the pins and cups meet.
"More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination."— Wilbur Wright

<<

vileperson

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:33 am

Did the OP ever do anything with this? I've been working on a mag latch / pivot and washer replacement / handle re-finishing project over here...
http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showt ... +benchmark

The mags don't touch each other, but rather, just get close enough to each other to pull enough to keep it closed/open. Just a slight pinch and it's free to flip.

P.S. I just got the pivots and washers so as soon as I find time to drill out the pivot holes in the blade and countersink holes int the handles, it's game on.
<<

vileperson

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:19 am

Thread updated. Holes drilled. Pivots in. This thing actually flips like a REAL knife, now. ...and the magnets worked out GREAT. I would actually consider doing a similar mag mod to a 6x if I had one.

Return to Modding/Making