FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Making a balisong

Moderator: T-man

<<

carlosj116

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Making a balisong

I've decided that I'm making a Balisong over the next few weeks/months and cannot decide what design to go with, any suggestions? The handles are restricted to being sandwich construction, as I don't have any milling tools. Once I'm finished I'll upload a picture so everyone can witness the likely abomination :lol:
Thanks,
Carl
<<

DavisM

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Making a balisong

I'm also contemplating making balisongs soon. I'm thinking of going with the Kimura style handles because I LOVE the look of them. But I also like lightweight flippers. I guess it really depends on what material you use. But I think some G10 is out of the question for me :D I also like the look of the spyderflys, but those are way to complex for a beginner, as well as the Twist handles. So I'm probably going to go with the Kimura style or the Microtech Tachyon II. Let me know what you decide on! :D
<<

carlosj116

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:40 am

Re: Making a balisong

Good luck, I think i'm gonna go with building a roughly shaped balisong at first, basing it around a knifekits tsunami and then making a few sets of handles and experimenting with shapes and designs. I recommend you get some O1 steel, Ive heard from quite a few people that its easy for beginners to use and gives relatively good knifes in the end. A combination of both would be interesting, maybe a Kimura IV style blade with the tachyon handles? But as you prefer kimura handles, you could try those with a Tachyon II style blade, that would look pretty interesting. Also if you like lightweight flippers, Aircraft aluminium is the first thing that springs to mind, however I am unsure as to whether it would make a good flipper,
Thanks,
Carl

Return to Modding/Making