FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

51 question

Moderator: T-man

<<

YFN667

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:45 pm

51 question

Hey guys havent been around in forever. I forgot my account. But anyways. I had an idea today to figure something to do with my 51. I need new pivots anyways so i Did some internet searches and I think i found something.i think The 51 pivot holes are 3/16? I figured someone on here would know. A place i get my knife steels and such has 3/16 outer diameter bushings and .125 inner diameter. They also have pivots with .125 diameter shaft. If my thought process is right i think that that might be a good way to get bushings in my 51, or not thats why i am asking. With some work i think that could work out well. What do you guys think?
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:21 am

Re: 51 question

Yeah, 3/16"

3/16" id and 4/16" od means 1/32" wall - about as thin as you'd probably wanna get. Also means boring out the pivot holes on the blade to 1/4". I've done it to twists, but I'd imagine it to be much more of a PITA on D2...
<<

YFN667

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:31 am

Drilling d2 is a pain. But if the bushing is 3/16 od to fit the pivot holes and the aftermarket pivots are .125 which is the same as the id of the bushing. I assumed it would be a fit. I might just be thinking wrong.
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Ah, I saw '.25' instead of .125. :oops: I recall someone was going to try something that way (wheelman?), but I don't recall how far he got.

The weird part would be the pivot holes in the handles, which are also 3/16. You'd have to either fill the gap between the pivot and pivot holes in the handles, so the bushings have something to hold them, or run the bushings all the way into the handles. If you have them in the handles, then the handles will be able to squeeze the blade, so you'd lose some of the benefit of bushings.
<<

nuts4knives

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Jason wrote:Ah, I saw '.25' instead of .125. :oops: I recall someone was going to try something that way (wheelman?), but I don't recall how far he got.

The weird part would be the pivot holes in the handles, which are also 3/16. You'd have to either fill the gap between the pivot and pivot holes in the handles, so the bushings have something to hold them, or run the bushings all the way into the handles. If you have them in the handles, then the handles will be able to squeeze the blade, so you'd lose some of the benefit of bushings.

I think what Jason says is true. You would need to go larger with the busings then the stock pivot otherwise you wouldn't see any advantage of the bushings unless you made whole new handles with smaller pivot holes.

Return to Modding/Making