FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Lightening a BM 62

Moderator: T-man

<<

RockChalkFlipper

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Lightening a BM 62

I have always had lighter knives in the past, my favorite being a BM 51. Since I am a huge fan of Benchmade I finally laid down the money for a 62, and wow that sucker is heavy! The knife itself seems to be of great quality and the fit and finish is awesome, but I got to admit the weight is a definite turn off.

This got me thinking about how it might be lightened to a more friendly 5 or so ounces instead of 6.3 ounces.

I thought of a friend of the family who is a Master grade machinist. He has 35+ years of working at Boing and Spirit and often deals with tolerances in the 10,000ths of an inch (and he has to get it right or the 787 crashes into a fiery heap of twisted metal) and is capable of running machines such as lathes, devligs, and even ball nose end mills. My point here is he is not a run of the mill shop tech.

I was planning to give him the knife and see if he can think of a way to make it lighter while still maintaining as much balance (possibly better balance?) and material as possible. But thought I might get your guys' opinion on it as well.
Friend of mine--"Dude I'll give you a dollar everytime you get cut with that thing."
Me--"Better hit up an ATM."
<<

Riptide

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:56 pm

Re: Lightening a BM 62

sounds like a pricey endeavor, but totally worth it if you can improve the balance and weight of the 6x
a.k.a. The Professor (courtesy of Ryanol)
Collecting cuts since February 2013
http://www.youtube.com/mrriptide161

Return to Modding/Making