FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Lightening a BM 62

Moderator: T-man

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Lightening a BM 62

I have always had lighter knives in the past, my favorite being a BM 51. Since I am a huge fan of Benchmade I finally laid down the money for a 62, and wow that sucker is heavy! The knife itself seems to be of great quality and the fit and finish is awesome, but I got to admit the weight is a definite turn off.

This got me thinking about how it might be lightened to a more friendly 5 or so ounces instead of 6.3 ounces.

I thought of a friend of the family who is a Master grade machinist. He has 35+ years of working at Boing and Spirit and often deals with tolerances in the 10,000ths of an inch (and he has to get it right or the 787 crashes into a fiery heap of twisted metal) and is capable of running machines such as lathes, devligs, and even ball nose end mills. My point here is he is not a run of the mill shop tech.

I was planning to give him the knife and see if he can think of a way to make it lighter while still maintaining as much balance (possibly better balance?) and material as possible. But thought I might get your guys' opinion on it as well.
Friend of mine--"Dude I'll give you a dollar everytime you get cut with that thing."
Me--"Better hit up an ATM."

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:56 pm

Re: Lightening a BM 62

sounds like a pricey endeavor, but totally worth it if you can improve the balance and weight of the 6x
a.k.a. The Professor (courtesy of Ryanol)
Collecting cuts since February 2013

Return to Modding/Making