FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Help on the Helix

Moderator: slashncut

<<

ThatGuy

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Help on the Helix

can anyone help a noob out on the helix? i always pause going into the third rollover, is there any way i can make it more smooth?
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: Help on the Helix

As you transition from the second to third rollover, it should be all in the wrist. Personally, as I go into the third rollover I also use my thumb to help push the rollover, it sort of looks like I'm making a thumbs up for a second. That's what works for me.
<<

ThatGuy

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:23 pm

alright thanks :D ill try it
<<

ThatGuy

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:30 pm

that seems to help a bit, but i think the rest of it just requires practice, how long did it take you to learn it?
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:42 pm

To learn it well enough to be able to do it, it took maybe a few weeks. Not counting the time it took to learn the y2k which is a prerequisite. But to actually refine the helix and be able to do it with speed and consistency it took several more months. And with the last challenge I did here, where people told me to work on using my wrist more, helped me improve it further. The wrist motion is important, I thought I was already using my wrist enough but I wasn't. Going into the last rollover you have to flip your wrist up and towards you, it almost feels like you're throwing the balisong into yourself. I also think me using my thumb to push the balisong as it rolls helps too, I use my thumb to push during behind the 8-balls as well.
<<

ThatGuy

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:48 pm

alright thanks, and yeah it actually took me a day to learn the y2k and zen rollovers :lol:
but i didn't think it would take that long, oh well, ill just keep working on it
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:59 pm

There's learning a trick and then there's refinement which is an ongoing process. To get to the point where you never drop it, can do continuous helixes and still have it be fast, etc. There is never really a limit to how good you can become at a trick. I don't really pay attention to how long it takes me to learn tricks I just flip for the sake of flipping.
<<

ThatGuy

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:59 pm

true, thanks for the help :D
<<

HonorHer

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:11 pm

took my 3 months to finally get my helix smooth. once i got it tho i instantly figured everything else out...... but when you transition from pointer to thumb try to touch them together like your making an "OK" sign then just lift your hand momentum alone will do the trick for you
"How many human eyes . . . had snatched glimpses of their secret anatomies, down the passages of years?"

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

ThatGuy

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:32 pm

alright thanks :P
<<

xtjx09

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:27 pm

I'll tell you what worked for me, was learning the blender. it's the opposite roll, but just going from one to the other, is the challenge. try learning the blender if you haven't already.

Return to Flipping Tutorials