FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Tips on Video Making

Moderator: slashncut

<<

Nardath

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Tips on Video Making

SO recently their has been lots of talk on quality of video coming out of the balisong community and the lack of effort that is put in to make the videos more enjoyable for the viewers in general. Not just for the public but also for each other. For this expanding community of ours, it is time for us to raise our standards and there are some very simple steps that can be taken to make a 1 star video into an at least 4 star.
Some members like Vince already made a very nice tutorial on simple steps that can be taken.

I for example have taken these said steps and applied them and my vids def went up a notch on the quality scale. It only takes me 5 minutes to set up, with no pro equipment what so ever. So really there isn’t much excuse for anyone to have crappy vids. Except for shitty cameras, but even then if you apply urself it can still look half decent.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on video making tips, especially knowing the FATOC 11 is coming up shortly, to give time for people to practice and learn before the tourny starts so that everyone’s can be on the same level.

SO, id like to start this thread with a few tips that ive picked up:

1 – Background : pretty simple, a plain background like a wall or a bed sheet. No distractions, no dirty laundry, no shit in the toilet lol.

2 – Lighting : This is key for a good looking vid. What I do is I take every lamp I have in my house, and position them so all the light comes on me :P sunlight is REALLY good.

3 – Silence : Turn off you TV, your computer, your cell, your girlfriend, your mom, your dog, etc. I personally like to hear the sound of the bali. Any other noise is annoying and distracting.

4 - Frame : Tripods are convenient or duct tape your cam onto a table or something. But positioning your camera so all the action can be seen is key, also a stable cam is also important.

So yeah, please feel free to add or comment.

( Discussions like this have already been talked about in the JBDA forum, if anyone wants to check it out, heres the link http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=85963 )
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Tips on Video Making

Stickied.

Nardath wrote:
2 – Lighting : This is key for a good looking vid. What I do is I take every lamp I have in my house, and position them so all the light comes on me :P sunlight is REALLY good.

I'll add:
More light is always better. Digital cameras, especially cheaper ones, don't like low light, and the result is graininess. The more light you add, the cleaner the picture gets.
And the light should always be behind the camera - NOT behind the subject. Otherwise, all we see is shadows(sexy sexy shadows)
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Add:
If you are filming one hand id just focus the camera on that hand only with the FRONT of your hand facing the camera not the BACK of your hand.

If you are flipping with two hands go ahead and stand so that you are facing the camera.
fke
<<

c.wigum

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:44 pm

As far as camera angles go. I quite like the first person view but I'm not too sure on how to film it properly........ short of strapping the camera to my head and looking like a dick :lol:

I have experimented with my tri-pod so that it is looking down over my left shoulder, as I flip with my right hand...... but it looks like shit.

Ideally I want the viewer to get the same view that I do as I flip. Any ideas, suggestions??
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

CalviNNatioN

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:47 pm

Nice thread Nardath and video bitehandle! I like to follow similar steps for my videos as well. I always appreciated the quality of your videos.
Last edited by CalviNNatioN on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

cja245

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:05 pm

c.wigum wrote:As far as camera angles go. I quite like the first person view but I'm not too sure on how to film it properly........ short of strapping the camera to my head and looking like a dick :lol:

I have experimented with my tri-pod so that it is looking down over my left shoulder, as I flip with my right hand...... but it looks like shit.

Ideally I want the viewer to get the same view that I do as I flip. Any ideas, suggestions??

I too have tried to get this to work with no success. I've seen several videos in this view and they look great. Tricks seem to look more impressive and they are easier to follow from first person view.
"I wanna stab someone in the mouth and tell em to "Taste the Rainbow" -MoreBeef

6th Place - FAToC '10
http://www.youtube.com/user/cja245
<<

takeiteazy3

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:39 pm

I think I've seen Greg do it. might want to ask him.

Here is his video.

Amazing...
Image http://www.youtube.com/user/TakeItEazy3
I am number 17 out of ???
<<

DeadPuppy

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Everything Greg does is amazing....(sexy sexy amazing)
"The best thing about killing a mime..is that they don't make any noise. It's the ultimate silent kill." -Vincent Dark
<<

Vincent_Dark

Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:45 pm

the easiest and best way to get the first person perspective is to have the camera on a tripod (if you don't have a tripod..use a portable tv tray with some shoeboxes to adjust the height..prop the backside of the camera up with a deck of cards or book so that it is viewing downwards) stand/sit/kneel in front of the camera with your back facing the camera so you can only see your arm..easy over the shoulder view.
This works much better than trying to hold the camera in one hand while you flip with the other....95% of vids i've seen filmed like that look like crap because your hand is moving all over the place and since you are not using a lense, you are out of frame.

Another trick that works slightly better than using your other hand, and providing you are filming on a small digital camera...is to hold the camera in your mouth with your teeth. It's a pain in the ass, but i know a few people who do this for certain shots in their card flourishing vids..and it works fine.

can't remember if i went over it in the video...but always use manual focus on your camera. Auto focus looks like crap, especially on bali vids where there is a lot of fast motion and movement going on. And it will never look as clear or as sharp as it will if you take the time to learn about manual adjustment settings and what the distances are....not to mention you can get some really nice depth of field shots if you know what you are doing.
"Traveling at the speed of dark"
agent number 4..I /rollz for the lulz...a new standard has been set.
This message was brought to you by your friends, at the other side.
<<

CalviNNatioN

Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:56 pm

I did all my first tutorials in first person view, they look alright but The way I do it now is better I think.
<<

Silent Jay

Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:27 pm

For 1st person view-flipping, same rules apply. You definitely want better lighting, and you still want a more plain background.

I'm uploading 2 examples now of good(well.. decent I guess) and bad 1st person flipping. Just to give a decent example of the difference.

Also, a tripod definitely helps. Mine is made for a real video camera. But two hair ties and it's perfect for mounting my digital camera on it.

And here they are:

Bad-

Decent-

Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

c.wigum

Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:32 am

Yeah, SJ that first vid was crap. I think it was the Bali you were using. I'd get rid of it if I were you...........and as luck would have it I know of a good home. :twisted:

Seriously though, Greg's vid looks like the camera is positioned above his head pointing down. I've tried that but I think my problem is trying to keep everything in frame. With his positioning of the camera the aerial's are also in shot which I like. He must be kneeling or have his tripod on top of something.

Using the black background really does just highlight the flipping.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Ozzie Sandoval

Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:12 pm

You guys need something like this:

:) photography is a hobby of mine, although they are flashes, the AlienBees do have modeling lights and I do have 2 hot lights.
Of course when I do make a video, I'll probably lay down couch cushions or thick blankets. Keep the cushions out of the shot and no one will know (except you guys cause I told you) haha.
I can do chaplins with my penis
<<

DeadPuppy

Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:34 pm

You know you're supposed to put CARS in your garage right?

but seriously that's a nice setup...I'm still having one heck of a time finding empty walls in my house....
"The best thing about killing a mime..is that they don't make any noise. It's the ultimate silent kill." -Vincent Dark
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:30 pm

:o
you have a fridge in your garage!!!

oh and thats a badass setup you have there :clap:
fke
Next

Return to The Art of Flipping