FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Latch loose when locked closed, not when locked open?

Moderator: T-man

<<

Feltorn

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Latch loose when locked closed, not when locked open?

Hi there, as some of you may know, I managed to pick up a halfway decent balisong despite living in a country that thinks they're the devil incarnate or something.

Now, as it's still just a CCC and I should have probably expected something like this soon-ish.

My problem is this, the latch on my knife is quite loose (not like, free swinging or anything, just loose) when my knife locks closed. The latch still actually locks, but it comes out again a bit too easily for my liking.

The strange thing is that when I lock the knife open, it still locks up as firm and tight as the day I assembled the knife, so, what's causing this? and is there a way to rememdy it? I don't think it's the latch itself, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the tang-pins or handle, so whats going on here?
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Latch loose when locked closed, not when locked open?

Its not made with Precision like production models?
<<

GetTheFood11

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Quintocer0s wrote:Its not made with Precision like production models?

Haha yeah I don't think you will get much of a better answer. Possibily of a loose latch is one of the cons of getting a CCC. You get what you pay for.
<<

Feltorn

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:28 am

ah, yeah, probably should have mentioned that when I first assembled the knife it locked up tightly on both sides, the loose latch is new.
<<

echoshock

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:40 pm

I would just wrap a rubber band around the latch and treat it like spring latch while flipping. If your problem is more focused around when it is being carried, there are these little rubber rings that you can use to make it lock up tighter. I'll see if I can find a picture of what I mean.
I would rather drive to your house and beat your ass in front of your kids.- Loosey

"oOooOololoolikikikolollLOOoloOollllololol"- Nards
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:45 pm

It's because when the Knife is open the handles arnt as close as when it's closed so the latch hangs on better
fke
<<

Zizworth

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:37 pm

If you remember, I have the same knife. Mine is the same way, so I put an O-ring on the latch, which keeps it latched when closed in my pocket. It has worked very well for me, as there really is nothing you can do to fix it unless you're prepared to take out the blade-side tang pin, make the tang pin hole just SLIGHTLY larger, and put in a new bigger pin that separates the handles just a tiny bit more. The risk of messing up or choosing a size just barely too big plus the fact that it's just a CCC and would take a lot of effort kept me from trying.
<<

Feltorn

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 pm

Alrighty then, thanks for the help guys.

Return to Maintenance