FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

To sharpen or not to sharpen a dedicated flipper?

Moderator: T-man

<<

nuts4knives

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:11 pm

To sharpen or not to sharpen a dedicated flipper?

forgive me if this has been discussed because it probably but I couldn't find it. I just started flipping a few weeks ago and I think I'm progressing just fine. I have been taping the edge of my new 51 when I try new stuff and then once I can consistently do the move I go "hot". I have heard some say that it's good to keep it razor sharp and I have heard others say it's best to just let it go. I keep all my edc folders razor sharp but I don't carry or actually "use" my bali so I'm wondering which is best to minimize future blood loss and stitches? I would think it would be better to just let it get dull but one post I read the guy said it actually does more damage with a polished edge. I suppose this is because of the edge being less toothy but when I do a polished edge it will push cut paper and whittle hairs so I would think that would definitely cut into a finger. What do you guys do?
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: To sharpen or not to sharpen a dedicated flipper?

With mine, they are knives, so I keep them sharp. I may not fuss over their edges as much as the knives I edc or use in the kitchen or shop, but I do keep them pretty sharp because they deserve it, and because I can.

Also, all my flippers are stainless, and most of what I carry is carbon steel, so there's already some disparity.

I do also tape them up if I'm about to do something stupid. :rockon:
<<

nuts4knives

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:50 am

Re: To sharpen or not to sharpen a dedicated flipper?

Jason wrote:With mine, they are knives, so I keep them sharp. I may not fuss over their edges as much as the knives I edc or use in the kitchen or shop, but I do keep them pretty sharp because they deserve it, and because I can.

Also, all my flippers are stainless, and most of what I carry is carbon steel, so there's already some disparity.

I do also tape them up if I'm about to do something stupid. :rockon:

Thanks for your insight. I did sharpen it up and almost immediately cut the shit out of my middle finger.lol I also noticed a small chip in my blade where the blade must have cought the edge of the liner near the grove in the 51's handle. I keep the dang thing almost the the Pont of binding so it must have landed weird when I dropped it and flexed a little. Kind of dissapointing on a new knife. I can't keep it tight enough to avoid the spine from rubbing the liners. It sounds like that's common though.

Return to Maintenance