FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

The "What Knife Should I Get?" Sticky

Moderator: T-man

<<

alex dude222

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: The "What Knife Should I Get?" Sticky

I agree about the 32 being a great knife, I just got mine for christmas and i love it! I havnt locktighted it yet but when tightened properly there is zero play which is desirable. As for the size, even after seeing a dozen reviews before getting it I was surprised at just how small it was! However, I quickly learned that wasn't really a problem for flipping. I really don't think its more difficult at all for basic or advanced tricks. And its amazing how smooth it is, that's what really impresses me. If you want a compact edc balisong that's practical and good for flipping, id recommend this in a second.
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:31 am

Few knives I did not see listed:

Filipino Handmades from Pinoy Steel. Wood insert handles are heavy duty and their trainers are tough! They so require a break in period.

Basilisk, if you can find one.

Roton Balisong. If you could find one. Heavy, durable and gorgeous.
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:01 pm

I thought this was more for cheapy starter stuff?
<<

Silent Jay

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:04 pm

CDR_Glock wrote:Few knives I did not see listed:

Filipino Handmades from Pinoy Steel. Wood insert handles are heavy duty and their trainers are tough! They so require a break in period.

Basilisk, if you can find one.

Roton Balisong. If you could find one. Heavy, durable and gorgeous.

FMHs would make for a decent addition

But I think Basilisks and Rotons are covered under "Customs and limited production"
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

Airiasas456

Post Thu May 05, 2011 6:05 am

What butterfly i should buy?

Hy guys i'm new here. Sorry, if posted in wrong section, i just want to know what butterfly knife i should buy?? i need good and it must be ~25$, i'm the beginer flipper. I like that ones design: http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Barracud ... rfly--4986 but i dont know is it very good? What you can you suggest?
<<

uwanaugoda

Leaves dried blood on Kimuras.

Post Sat May 07, 2011 1:00 am

Re: What butterfly i should buy?

"Must be good", and "under ~$25" dosen't go good together.
FaultyPly- "My cocks breaks the glass in your optical lenses while I skull fuck you"
Crockus- "guess Im just used to "small things"
<<

Luke oX

Post Sat May 07, 2011 5:20 am

uwanaugoda wrote:"Must be good", and "under ~$25" dosen't go good together.

Agreed.

slashncut wrote:It's better to have flipped and lost than to have never flipped at all.
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Sat May 07, 2011 7:49 am

Airiasas456 wrote:Hy guys i'm new here. Sorry, if posted in wrong section, i just want to know what butterfly knife i should buy?? i need good and it must be ~25$, i'm the beginer flipper. I like that ones design: http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Barracud ... rfly--4986 but i dont know is it very good? What you can you suggest?

It's good enough. If you flip it over a soft surface then it will not break. CCCs are ok for a start. Save up for a Kimura or 51.
<<

2timeNeil

Post Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:22 pm

new to this site, and pretty new to flipping. i purchased a k7 as my 1st balisong, any thoughts on kimuras? im kinda scared to do ariels because the blade on this shit is sharp as fuck! :shock:
<<

Mr000Penguin

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:53 pm

2timeNeil wrote:new to this site, and pretty new to flipping. i purchased a k7 as my 1st balisong, any thoughts on kimuras? im kinda scared to do ariels because the blade on this shit is sharp as fuck! :shock:

the sharper the less painful :mrgreen: You can always tape the blade... but you get complacent. (believe me... two days in, and 12 wounds later, I taped the blade, "mastered" a trick, untaped the blade, and sliced myself... deep)
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:18 am

2timeNeil wrote:new to this site, and pretty new to flipping. i purchased a k7 as my 1st balisong, any thoughts on kimuras? im kinda scared to do ariels because the blade on this shit is sharp as fuck! :shock:

You have to walk before you can fly. Do simple aerials first. As you get more comfortable, toss a little higher, then add more rotations, and you need to know what handle you'll be grabbing. It takes a while to have the timing to catch the knife as the speed of rotation increases. Cutlery lover has a good tutorial on aerials. I suggest you watch it. Master basic moves until you are comfortable with the dynamics of the weight and balance. Bear in mind most people have been flipping 1, 2 or more years, or in some cases 2 decades, like Looseyfur. :welcome1:
<<

sirhorsechoker

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:26 am

the feedback on the kimuras is indeed "subjective". i just copped a pair of K2s. so i thought i might offer my non-opinion... on unboxing i had many opinions. i got use to the 51s lightness so i would get use to the kimuras heaviness i assumed. they seemed as good as i expected. everything i read they were at least. a few days later a small amount of surface rust was noticable. i didnt get them wet or even really use them. but the humidity here is outrageous. the blades came oiled. i oil stuff just because. i scrubbed the little rust off and put them up. a few days later i looked and they were a lot worse. bladehq was not easy to talk to. bradley wasnt much better... but a rep from bradley did finally email me back yday and say either himself or the owner of the company would contact me today. i think i used the words "please buy these horrible knives back from me". i was a little upset by the time they gave me the run around all friggen day. but in all fairness the blades must hold up in like %95 of environments because i read for hours about kimuras and watched a billion youtube videos before i bought them and ive never heard of a rusty kimuras before. im blaming the humidity. the only other logical thing i could thing of would be some really unlikely thing like setting next to drain opener in a warehouse or something... the handles a little rusty too. if youre thinking of buying a bali and you live in the botanical gardens, dont buy kimura.... sidenote my supposedly not stainless and prone to rusting D2 steel bm51 gets wet and neglected and has never tried to show signs of anything but kicking ass.( but i read of other people having rusty 51s.) ive delt with benchmade reps in oregon and they kick ass too.
<<

Nardath

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:18 am

I live in Newfoundland, land of the cold and humid. Yes both the ends of my shit are shitty... Here's how my k1 looked before I overhauled it

Oh and i have to clean the rust off my 51 weekly..

I also found that the box that I use to keep my balis was metal and I also stored powerful magnets in the box. And I think that contributed in te rusting of my balis. But I find now store in a plastic box, they still , just not as fast...
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Nardath wrote:But I find now store in a plastic box, they still , just not as fast...

Try putting some of those 'stay fresh' packs in the plastic box. The little salt packs you find in food - like jerky! I think I heard Calvin tried this with good results.
<<

DanielGClapp

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:38 am

Benchmade 51 FTW
Last edited by DanielGClapp on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to The Knives We Flip