FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Predictions for the 42 market

Moderator: T-man

<<

Klockwyse

Post Sun May 20, 2012 7:51 am

Predictions for the 42 market

Hey guys, the 42 has continued to increase in 2nd market value since it was discontinued, it's now over twice the original price. Do you guys think the bubble will burst, or do you think it'll continue to go up? I'm really looking into buying one but I'm not sure I can justify $400+. Thanks guys.
<<

Switchfeathers

Post Sun May 20, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Predictions for the 42 market

I think it's just going to keep going up in price, sadly. Which is a shame, I might have been able to get my hands on one at 200 or even 300, but now it's over the 400 dollar mark average there's no way.

Unless Benchmade decides to ship out more 4X runs, I doubt we'll see a price drop on the bastards. I don't care how good a knife they are, they're not worth 400 damn dollars. There's the price of high quality, and there's milking something for more than it's worth. The 4X knives crossed that line once they went over 350, if you ask me.
<<

AnthonyTheAbyss

Post Sun May 20, 2012 8:17 pm

If you take a look at the sales trend it has pretty much hovered around the $350 to $400 range and a lot more people are selling now. I honestly think it's peaked. Most of the sales were driven by newbies who were late to get into the game and needed to get their hands on a "premier" flipper that they see in the demonstration Youtube videos. With the BM62 finally releasing (I'm not saying that's comparable to the BM42) and a batch of Alpha Beast about to flood the market, the price of the BM42 isn't going to go any further. Plus there's a price point where custom balisongs are going to start to come into play.
"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." - Stephen King
<<

Klockwyse

Post Sun May 20, 2012 8:54 pm

I hope you're right, because I definitely would like to add one to my collection at some point. Is the "Alpha Beast" not released yet? I haven't heard of it before. Thanks.

Edit: I did some research and holy shit I want one.
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Sun May 20, 2012 11:49 pm

People will still pay ridiculous prices even if benchmade makes another run. If they do people would just buy them and resale them for the current market price and make a killing.

btw: 10000 post in the knives we flip
<<

Uh-Oh

Post Tue May 22, 2012 3:59 pm

The rise of the 4x series price made the market a little weird, it raised demand greatly for any balisong, as what I consider the standard for flipping is the 42 in particular and 4x series in general, is now hard to find. Finding a mint 42 (or even good condition) is near impossible and absurdly expensive.

It even let benchmade make the 62 so high in price. I remember paying under 150 for a 43 over a decade ago, I paid 280 for my 62 (I know I over paid but all the preorder sites were out, and a local dealer got one for me, I guess getting a numbered one was worth it, even though I don’t flip it). The 4X series uses a Ti cast then milled, to my understanding it was very difficult and expensive to perfect the casting process. On the other hand the 62 is sandwich SS, much easier to manufacture. But I cannot blame them for the price, materials cost has gone up like a mother since i have bought my last Ti BM.

I own around a dozen Benchmade Balis, and I don’t have a normal 42. That says something about how rare they are now days. I would have one if I wouldn’t have to pay so much for one. I regret not getting one at knife shows when they were $135-$150. I would have two of them suckers flying around my hands all day. Much Respect to those that do, they are keepers if you got them.
Keep it spinning
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Tue May 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Uh-Oh wrote: even though I don’t flip it).

We should meet up and I'll flip it for you :D
<<

Uh-Oh

Post Wed May 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Quintocer0s wrote:
Uh-Oh wrote: even though I don’t flip it).

We should meet up and I'll flip it for you :D

Well I try flipping it, benchmade sharp blade with heavy handles makes my fingers bleed. Took way too nice of a chunk out my left ring on the knuckle. :mrgreen: you can try though. What part of p-town you at man? Im in the Tigard/Beaverton area.
Keep it spinning
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Wed May 23, 2012 9:42 pm

So your somewhat near washington square or something? I'm living practically next door to the rock creek pcc campus.
<<

Uh-Oh

Post Fri May 25, 2012 11:01 am

Yeah, I am just a little up scholls from the mall. Thats cool to hear of another flipper in town, we should meet up, I have seen a video of yours, I could learn a thing or two from ya.
Keep it spinning

Return to The Knives We Flip